UPDATE 4-Marvel quarterly profit tops Street, shares soar
* Q4 EPS 80 cents beats Street by 8 cents
* Expects licensing revenue to fall in 2009
* Reiterates outlook for 2009
* Spider-Man musical to release in Feb 2010
* Shares rise 17 percent (Adds Marvel executive interview)
By S. John Tilak
BANGALORE, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Media company Marvel Entertainment Inc's MVL.N profit more than doubled, beating market estimates for the sixth straight quarter, as it benefited from the strong performance of its first self-produced films, sending its shares up as much as 17 percent.
The company -- whose businesses include publishing, licensing and movies -- started making its own films last year with the hugely successful "Iron Man," which was followed by "The Incredible Hulk," creating a new revenue stream.
"Iron Man," which was distributed by Viacom Inc's VIAb.N Paramount Pictures, had the second-biggest non-sequel box office opening in history. It was the second-most successful film of 2008, after "The Dark Knight." Continua...